Monday, May 22, 2023

Common slogans on the Camino

"The Camino provides". This is a common expression one hears while walking the Camino de Santiago or encounters when reading accounts of those who have. I have heard it many times over these last 20 days. 

Somebody has no place to sleep and all the albergues (hostels) are full and so, despite being exhausted from walking perhaps 30 or 40 kilometers, they must continue to the next town in hopes of getting a room. But just then, someone else realizes they accidentally booked two bunks rather than one. The newly available bunk is given to the weary traveler and the words, "The Camino provides" are uttered. This actually happened today among our new friends. 

Pilgrims are encouraged to embrace this mantra and an attitude of gratitude in even small details. When one is sad, the next bend in the path reveals something whimsical and cheery like wildflowers or a volunteer offering fresh squeezed orange juice and toasted bread soaked with olive oil for free or for a small donation. When an injury occurs there is often someone with extra resources to help treat them. The Camino provides.

I have been thinking about this for some time. Believe me, the one thing you have when walking much of the day is time to think. Of course, my faith perspective is that God provides, and many we have met cetainly believe this also. For them, saying "the Camino provides" is tantamount to acknowledgement of God's providential care. For others this is a little too specific, perhaps it holds uncomfortable implications. All of us are familiar with people who would not give any credence to the idea of praying to God but feel quite comfortable "putting that out to the universe". This has always puzzled me. But I am not here to write about the faith perspective of others, at least not in this post. 

In my reflection on the matter of the Camino providing, I have come to believe that the conditions and expectations are what create this openness of heart to some form or another of divine providence. 

The conditions are unique. People walking the Camino have time on their hands. One doesn't travel to Spain planning to walk 800 kilometers unless afforded a special opportunity through retirement, sabbatical or a rare extended leave from work. This pilgrimage involves slowing, listening, feeling, perceiving and being fully attentive to the experience. In our usual hurried lives back home, this kind of attentive perception of small graces is elusive and takes great effort to cultivate. Naturally, spiritual disciplines help greatly in this regard but perhaps something like this journey, a time set aside to hone these ways of being, will enhance progress in this aspect of the spiritual journey. 

Pilgrims are also, generally speaking, in need of help of one kind or another. These needs can be physical, such as food, water, a bench to sit, a bed to sleep, repair to a trekking pole or medication. In fact, just today I met a limping Brazilian chap and in my broken Portuguese I was able to inquire as to his injury and offer him much needed ibuprofen - 3 hours later we met again as he arrived at the albergue, long after jenny and I had already showered and were into a second beverage. Needs are just as likely to be emotional or spiritual in nature. This has also been a regular occurrence for us as we have both received and given kindness, prayer, blessing and friendship. 

Typically, when in our usual surroundings and living at break neck speed, we are disinclined to ask for or accept help, maybe out of pride, and too hurried to be attentive. As I walk I wonder how much of God and of good I miss out on because of this. Maybe you and I can learn to embody more of this even on the Camino, which just means path or way, of our everyday lives.

"It's your Camino". This is another common Camino slogan used by pilgrims to remind their fellow travelers not to compare themselves with others on the journey and, rather, to enjoy the experience as it unfolds for themselves (nor to compare with those who have journaled, blogged or shared their experience on YouTube). This is wise counsel which I have needed to hear repeatedly.

I was disappointed when we had to miss the very first 5 kilometers of the Camino. I felt like I was cheating. Similarly, when various hostels I had seen on videos were fully booked I was frustrated.  When Matts and Frederick, two 60 year old Swedes told us they planned to walk the Camino in just 16 days, I felt very inadequate. BTW, Frederick mentioned that his FitBit noted he had logged 84,000 steps the day we had dinner together. Thankfully, Jenny has continually and gently reminded me that this is our adventure and not a contest or something to be conquered.  God has let me encounter others too, who have reminded me, "this is your Camino".  I am slowly learning the wisdom in this slogan. 

"Buen Camino". This is the phrase heard more than any other while walking this path. When passing a fellow perigrino (or pilgrim) one always says this.  It is humorous that a Canadian passing a American or New Zealander still expresses this wish for a good Camino in Spanish. It's just the way it is. 

As we have walked our way through perhaps 100 hundred small towns thus far, countless local people have wished us a "buen camino", especially the elderly folks sitting on benches or leaning out their windows. I find this astounding since they likely see 300 Pilgrims daily for 6 months of the year. Shop keepers, bar owners and wait staff generally say it too. And often you can feel a deep sincerity in this wishes for a great pilgrimage experience.

One day I walked with a German gentleman for a short time, and as is custom, we wished one another a buen camino. But then he went on to explain that this greeting is deeper than just, "have a good trip". He noted that the implied meaning is more akin to saying, "a good life journey to you", that Camino represents the whole of one's path. This was beautiful and opened up new meaning to this simple pilgrim's greeting.  So, with that in mind, let me say from the depths of my soul to all of you who have taken the time to follow our journey,  "buen Camino" from Jenny and I.

(No photos on this post but I have been putting some up on Facebook regularly so feel free to check that out).

Posts in this series:
Welcome to The Long Walk
Ent-ish
...   



7 comments:

  1. Buen Camino! Love this! Thank you for taking the time to post about this. A great perspective and something to remind ourselves of daily indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your journey has given me many gifts. Thank you for sharing your heart. Miss you and Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shalom Aleichem. Peace be upon you you both! 💕🙏💕

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing Bob. I look forward to following your journey. God’s blessings! Chris Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buen Camino to you my friends! Take care, love and prayers from the Kinney family.

    ReplyDelete